Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Car Ride Home








In the truck, on the 45 minute drive home from his baseball game. as part of our conversation, Michael told me that he had some maturing to do. I just about sprayed the water I had just sipped all over the dash. 
Playing it cool, I just grinned and said, "Ya, I've noticed." He proceeded to share the changes he is working on making. It's these moments I miss the most now that he is living mostly at his dads. He chose to do so as a result of not wanting to follow a major rule in my house. No matter how much my heart hurts, I know I have to follow through. He will learn from this experience and hopefully come around someday. I knew I would be an empty nester some day but I never expected it like this.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like your son is already learning. Enjoy these moments. As our sons get older, these moments become more rare but more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a major step for a child to realise that maturing up is needed. I infer that since he is sharing his thoughts with you you have a good relationship even if he is not with you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Car rides are the best. It is always where my son would share things. A place small safe and he knew I would not be looking at him but listening. He is now grown and married but when he is in town I never miss a chance to ride or drive him some place. I always learn interesting things about him. Keep up the car rides. You may learn a lot. It is interesting how kids move away but then turn back to us in another way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hear the humor, conviction and longing in this story. I will predict that he WILL learn from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The combination of tones and perspectives in just your first two sentences: amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to you. This must be hard, but I think the rule your child couldn't abide by was done with their best interest in mind. I hope they are able to understand that in the future. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Falling Through the Cracks on the Porch

  On Sunday, a friend and I were sitting on the deck practicing for an upcoming interview. It was getting pretty warm sitting in the direct ...