Monday, March 1, 2021

The Precipice


Well, here I am on the precipice of something great. Do I truly believe that? Not really. I feel terrified. I am afraid my words will add to the mundane in this world.

"Who will want to read what I write? Are people commenting because they want to or because they have to meet their minimum quota for the day? What if my writing reaches someone I will hurt if I dare to write my truth? What's the point anyway?" 

The internal struggle is ridiculous. I need to write like I coach my middle schoolers to write - raw and from the heart. I want them to be vulnerable and explore their thoughts and feelings on the page. I need to do the same. I want to do the same.

Am I on the precipice of something great? Of course I am. I feel excited I finally have the courage to commit to the Slice of Life Story Challenge. I love the idea of writing and here is where I can put my craft into practice. I want to grow as a writer and be better than the last time I put pen to paper or fingers to the keyboard.

My attitude about this experience is up to me. I get to decide; to choose who I am writing for and I choose to write for me in the most upbeat, enthusiastic way I can muster.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the SOLSC community!
    Congratulations on taking this brave, bold step forward, Rebecca. I promise you, it will be life changing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Rebecca to our community. I hope your students are slicing too. Mine gave me the courage to post my slices ten years ago and the rest is history. Aren't middle school students the best humans on earth? I absolutely loved my years teaching them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,
    I love your honesty! Your open Mindset is great, that is all you need on this journey, you are well on your way to something GREAT !! Have fun w it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello and welcome! I know those first time fears. I had them years ago when I first started writing here. What I learned very quickly is this is a safe and welcoming group of writers. I learned it was ok to write about what you are thinking and caring about. So go for it - enjoy your writing. It is a great community to be apart of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo for taking the leap and sharing your initial insights. The struggle is both real and ridiculous, and I can say so from shared experience as someone else who works with middle-school students. Here's to "being better than the last time" for 30 more days and whatever comes after those!

    ReplyDelete

Falling Through the Cracks on the Porch

  On Sunday, a friend and I were sitting on the deck practicing for an upcoming interview. It was getting pretty warm sitting in the direct ...