Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Opening Up


 I am experiencing some bumps in the road right now. As I am sure you all do, I prefer the newly paved driveway that you can roller skate on without a worry in the world, to traverse life. But that is not for me right now. And to make it worse, I have what I've been told is the "cry gene". As long as others don't ask me about my life, I'm ok but for some reason when someone reaches out, I start to cry as I tell them. So I don't like to talk about things going on in my life because I don't want to get all teary-eyed in front of anybody. I also don't want to be felt sorry for and to be totally honest, appear weak and helpless.

After school, I was sitting at my desk contemplating what actions to take and a close co-worker of mine stopped by. She must have recognized the worry and weight on my shoulders because she asked if I was ok. I responded with my typical "ya, I'm ok". She didn't buy it and kept pressing. I finally relented and told her I needed to decide between paying for a tow truck to bring my truck from the dealership to a recommended garage for a second opinion or to tow it to my house and sell it for parts.

She lit up and took charge. "I have AAA and I am going to call them right now and we'll get your car to that garage."

If I chose to remain silent and not risk sharing; to be fearful that she would just feel sorry for me, I would have missed out. She felt good helping me, we had a great time visiting with each other and I have hope things will come together.

1 comment:

  1. The truck's story may not have a happy ending yet, but I appreciate how your slice and your co-worker's support open up the next unexpected chapter.

    ReplyDelete

Falling Through the Cracks on the Porch

  On Sunday, a friend and I were sitting on the deck practicing for an upcoming interview. It was getting pretty warm sitting in the direct ...