Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Sobbing in the Car





She was the first car

stopped at the red light

gripping the steering wheel

staring straight ahead

with tears streaming down her face.

I felt like I wasn't 

supposed to see her

in this vulnerable state.

She was crying 

like someone would

when they are

alone in a room.

Sobbing and heaving,

you know

that ugly cry.

I wanted 

to get out of my car

in the middle of the road

and run across 

the intersection

to ask her

"What's wrong?"

like I would want someone

to do for me

when I am sobbing

alone in my car.


1 comment:

  1. Seeing, but not seeing. Private, but not private. These raw lines explode the moment very effectively.

    ReplyDelete

Falling Through the Cracks on the Porch

  On Sunday, a friend and I were sitting on the deck practicing for an upcoming interview. It was getting pretty warm sitting in the direct ...