Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Wah!








GOOD GRIEF! 

Can any of my students in person and online (at the same time) hear me with this mask on?

I feel like I am Miss Othmar. "Wah, wah, wah, wah." 

I can't hear their questions three quarters of the time so how can the ones furthest away hear me?

By the time I am finished teaching four hours without a mask break, I am ready to pass out. I am light headed and a bit dizzy, as well as overheated and dehydrated. 

I've been working on accepting that I have limitations in this situation and need to make adjustments to survive but I want to teach the way I am designed. I know I need to pace myself and not get so enthusiastic in the delivery of the content so I don't need as much oxygen flow. Where's the joy in that?

Maybe I should spare the five cents and get some psychiatric help from Lucy. This afternoon I might check to see if the Dr. is in.

2 comments:

  1. Ew! You remind me how fortunate that I am that we have audio enhancement systems at our school. I hadn't really thought of the energy involved in speaking without them. Here's hoping that we're able to teach without masks before too, too long. Also, I loved your Charlie Brown references :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've previewed what I fear will be my reality starting next week. Perhaps I'd best get practicing now using mask-centric articulation exercises... I suspect I'd rather be playing football with the aforementioned Lucy even though we *know* how that goes!

    ReplyDelete

Falling Through the Cracks on the Porch

  On Sunday, a friend and I were sitting on the deck practicing for an upcoming interview. It was getting pretty warm sitting in the direct ...