Friday, March 5, 2021

You Lied

 


Dear Dealership,

I am saddened to let you know that I won't be utilizing your services any more. I have bought three vehicles from you over the years as well as had them, and others, serviced with you - oil changes, battery replacements, an air conditioning recharge, etc. The list is long. 

When my truck broke down last Friday, I didn't hesitate to have the tow truck bring it to you. When you called on Saturday asking for an authorization of $175 to diagnose the possible problem, I accepted, no questions asked. I readily agreed because of the relationship we had together. You scheduled an appointment for the truck at 7:20am on Monday and said that you would call me back with the results. I anxiously waited all day until late afternoon when I decided to call. Maybe you were so busy you forgot about me. The thing is - I am a single working mom and have only one vehicle, and it's in your possession. You reassured me you understood and are here for me.

Monday passed without a call.

I decided to be patient. I waited until my Tuesday during my lunch time to reach out and left you a message. When you called back, I was teaching and couldn't pick up. I listened to your message. You declared that you needed $675 more to continue to diagnose the engine with most likely having to replace it with a new one. 

I called you back, listened to your spiel and politely said "no thank you" and "when can I pick it up?" I could hear the surprise in your voice over the phone when you asked if I was sure. You bet I was sure, even if I had to get another tow truck to come get it and bring it home or to another garage recommended from a trusted friend. 

When I came to get it, I paid you the $175, thanked you for checking it out and left. That's it. I will never come to your establishment again.

You see, I found a garage that was honest and did their job. They actually opened the hood of the truck and inspected things with their hands. All you did was listen to it run, plug in your cable to get some codes, and charge me $175 for that when you told me otherwise. I am not going to waste my time writing about it here. Go back and read the report you gave me. And how do I know? My dirt driveway is long and dusty. Everything under the hood is covered in it. So when the mechanic opened it up to check things out, there was not one fingerprint that showed you did what you said. He took pictures to show me you lied.

Sincerely,

Your Old Customer

7 comments:

  1. Grr this kind of stuff upsets me so much. I am so glad you found a reliable mechanic. Best of luck with your car!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow...

    That’s some serious NOT OKAY (insert other words) nonsense right there!!!

    Better Business Bureau report and all the reviews possible seem MORE than justified.

    Way to stand your ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On one hand, an excellent writing exercise to offload feelings. Cathartic win! At the same time, this letter is just about ready to send to the supervisor at said dealership if you so choose. Practical win, too, maybe. Hope you are safely back on the road soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so sad that you were treated that way. I agree with Pam call the Better Business Bureau and report them. Not ok! I am glad you had another place to go and you can trust. Gook luck with the repair. (A good writing piece for sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, it makes me mad for you that this happened. Glad you have stumbled upon someone you can rely on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. UGH! We left a dealership under similar circumstances. Always overcharged, but we felt we were getting a premium service. We were wrong. Good luck getting the truck fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can feel your frustrations! I hate being taken advantage of and become very indignant when it happens. I'm glad you went somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete

Falling Through the Cracks on the Porch

  On Sunday, a friend and I were sitting on the deck practicing for an upcoming interview. It was getting pretty warm sitting in the direct ...